Breck to celebrate Ullr Fest Jan. 11 – 17
Powder hounds, unite! The mountain community of Breckenridge, Colo. celebrates the new year Jan. 11-17 with Ullr Fest, a week-long winter festival honoring Ullr, the Norse god of snow. More than 12,000 Ullr enthusiasts will gather for the iconic Main Street parade (don’t forget the Viking helmet!) and other events such as Breck’s Got Talent, Ullympics, and the inaugural Ullr Bike fat bike race at the Gold Run Nordic Center.
“Ullr Fest celebrates snow and outdoor fun, and fat biking is one of the fastest-growing segments of winter recreation,” said GoBreck events director Sandy Metzger. “It’s a great fit.”
The Ullr tradition began in 1963 and continues today in the hopes of bringing more snow to Breckenridge. See a schedule outline below or visit UllrFest.com for details.
- Sunday, Jan. 11: Family ice skating party – Bring the kids for an evening of ice skating at the Steven C. West Ice Arena. 3:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, Jan. 12: Crowning of the Ullr King and Queen – The happy hour coronation includes appetizers and drinks (one free beer for each attendee) at the Breckenridge Nordic Center. 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, Jan. 13: Ullympics – No need to change out of ski clothes; this is an evening outdoor activity (frying pan toss, group ski race, etc.) at Carter Park. 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, Jan. 14: Breck’s Got Talent – Join local radio station, Always Mountain Time, for a town-wide talent show in a new location, the Riverwalk Center. For more information or to register, contact email@example.com. Doors open at 6:00 p.m., show at 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 15: Ullr Shot Ski/Parade/Bonfire – More than 12,000 Ullr enthusiasts fill the streets for the Ullr Parade, followed by the town bonfire. Ullr shot ski at 4:00 p.m., parade at 4:30 with bonfire to follow
- Friday, Jan. 16: Ullr Bike, presented by Borealis Bikes – Join the fat bike party with an Ullr-themed winter race. The $30 entry fee includes beer, soup and giveaways. For details and to register, visit mavsports.com. Race starts at 5:00 p.m.
- Friday, Jan. 16: Comedy night – Comedy Works comics descend on Breckenridge for a night of big laughs. Advance tickets available at the Breckenridge Welcome Center for $25; acts TBD. Doors open at 7:00 p.m., show at 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 17: Wild and Scenic Film Festival – High Country Conservation Center and Continental Divide Land Trust partner to bring a variety of films focused on the natural world. Purchase tickets at HighCountryConservation.org. Happy hour starts at 6:00 p.m., show time at 7:00 p.m.
— Content provided by GoBreck.