How to speed up your EpicMix race time
Like going fast? Beating your friends to the bottom of the mountain? Pretending you’re a professional racer, carving lines like it’s your job? If you’re nodding right now, you need to check out EpicMix Racing at Breckenridge Ski Resort. In its second season, the 14- to 16-gate giant slalom dual course located along the Sundown run on Peak 9 invites two skiers, snowboarders, adaptive athletes, kids and adults to race down the course at once ($6 per race).
“If you’re able to get down a blue run, you’re savvy enough to get through the gates,” says Dave Little, who oversees the EpicMix Racing program for all eight Vail Resorts. “The whole purpose of this program is to make ski racing more accessible to more people in a fun, unintimidating, approachable atmosphere.” Racers can access their times and share experiences using the EpicMix app and can even race against four-time overall World Cup Champion and Olympic Gold Medalist, Lindsey Vonn.
If you’ve whipped down the course, you know how fun it is and you’re probably looking to improve your time — or at least top your fastest friend’s time. Here are some pro racing tips from Lindsey Vonn:
- Body Positioning: An athletic stance is key to staying agile and quick
- Proper Technique: The most effective technique varies from racer to racer
- Strong Finishes: Reach for the line to shave seconds off your time
- Effective Starts: Explosive power out of the gate is critical for winning races
- Take Care of Your Equipment: Freshly tuned skis are critical for racing performance
- Recreational Racers: Having fun should be your first priority, but good form helps too
- Running Gates: Clean edges and an aggressive line are key to getting a fast time
Watch Vonn explain her strategies in these videos outlining each tip. As Manager of Competition Services and EpicMix Race Operations, Dave Little has a few tips of his own:
- First and foremost, have fun!
- Stay in control
- Keep your focus ahead
- Run the course frequently – “Every time you come through, you learn something new and your times do get faster,” Little says.
Learn more about EpicMix Racing here. Have fun, go fast, be safe!
– Lisa Pogue