Planning your perfect Thanksgiving in Breck
There’s something to be said about spending a holiday in the mountains. Thanksgiving traditions sing a magical note, as giddy momentum for the newly unveiled ski season is electric and that stuffing and cranberry sauce somehow taste just a little sweeter.
Here’s how to create a Breckenridge Thanksgiving to remember:
Hit the slopes
With a winter wonderland scene well in the works and Thanksgiving falling a little later in the month this year (Nov. 28), Breckenridge Ski Resort conditions should be ripe for some turkey day turns. Ski early and get spacious runs in while everyone else is eating and watching the big parade. You’ll burn enough calories to earn that second (or third) piece of pumpkin pie. Peak 9 is likely to open earlier this year — and just in time for Thanksgiving — so you’ll have even more terrain to explore. Get your lift tickets early and save.
Are you in the mood for high-end multi-course feast or traditional turkey, taters and pie? Leave the serving to the pros. Popular Breckenridge Thanksgiving spots include:
- Sevens in the Grand Lodge on Peak 7 for a gourmet Thanksgiving dinner with dishes that include butternut squash bisque, hazelnut stuffing and roasted brined turkey
- Spencer’s Restaurant in the Beaver Run Resort for an all-you-can-eat Thanksgiving buffet, complete with carving stations and salad bar
- Hearthstone for a fine-dining feast. Past selections have included roast turkey breast with cranberry and orange compote and Palisade peach stuffing
- Quandary Grille for traditional Thanksgiving lunch or dinner plates
- The Motherloaded Tavern for a budget-friendly turkey day plate and kid’s menu
Pick up a free copy of the Summit Daily the week of Thanksgiving or contact restaurants for the latest specials and to make reservations.
Cooking Thanksgiving dinner in Breckenridge? Visit local shops like Breckenridge Spice Merchants, Olive Fusion and Ridge Street Wine/Breckenridge Cheese & Chocolate for epicurean touches. Pick up morning treats from Clint’s Bakery, Daylight Donuts or La Francaise French Bakery. Tip: If you’re hitting City Market for ingredients, be sure to go before Thanksgiving Day — the shelves are usually ransacked by the time the holiday rolls around. Keep high-altitude adjustments in mind when baking.
Book lodging early so you’re sure to snag that slope-side space with the large kitchen and glorious hot tub with a view. Enjoy up to 25 percent off by booking lodging before Nov. 15. Check out these additional Breckenridge Vacation Deals.
Get a jump on holiday shopping
Score only-in-Colorado gifts and support local businesses with a downtown Breck shopping spree. In Black Friday fashion, many shops host big sales the days following Thanksgiving. Head to the other side of the county and hit the Outlets at Silverthorne for deep holiday discounts starting Thanksgiving night.
– Lisa Pogue